half kilo of Penne Pasta
4 tall cans of Evaporated Milk
half bar of grated cheddar cheese
half cup of butter
3/4 kilo of chorizo (aklan) cut into circles then into half or
1/4 kilo of ham cut into 1cm squares
one big white onion cut into thin rings
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2-3 knorr shrimp cubes
4tbsp of flour
salt and pepper to taste
(in this recipe all purpose cream was wiped off, because it still taste the same minus the fat... but if you still want to use cream. proportion is still 1:1)
1. in a boiling pan, boil 2 liters of water, add some oil and salt.
2. cook the pasta with it direction intended time... usually 8-10 minutes (but look for the intrsuction)
3. in a wide sauce pan. saute the garlic, then onions with about 2tbsp of oil. check onions for caramelization.
4. add in the meat, stir around until cooked, season some salt and pepper for initial taste
5. add in butter, til it melts
6. then the cans of milk, wait for it to boil
7. add in the cubes, start adjusting the taste, salt, sugar and pepper.
8. add the grated cheese, continuing to stir it until it thickens a bit.
9. in a cup, 4tbsp of flour, add in about 1/4 cup of water and dissolve.
10. once dissolved add it in the sauce mixture. continually stirring until the sauced thickens...
11. check for desired thickness. for me as soon as the sauce feels heavy and sticks to the wooden spoon. its good enough for me.
12. by this time, your pasta is now cooked. strain the pasta and throw away the water.
13. mix 3/4 of the sauce to the pasta and save the 1/4 for the toppings...
thats it! there goes your penne carbonara.
(optional: you can mince some onion and garlic mixture, fry it until golden brown and crispy. sprinkle it on top for more taste and presentation)